2/15/2010

HARD CANDY - Yummy!

HARD CANDY was all the rage 10 years ago.  Just ask my mom who, after I begged her to death, paid $15 for a bottle of nail polish with a plastic ring on the cap. Seriously though it wasn't just those cheap little rings that sold me. I knew, even at 15, that these were products not easily attainable anywhere else. The colors were bold, pigmented and most of them had an overabundance of glitter. The eyeshadows, nail polishes and lipsticks were unlike anything I had seen before. Everything from bright, glittery purple shadow to matte, pastel polishes. Seriously!?! I was in love.

At the time the line was only sold in high end stores like Nordstrom for a pretty penny. Buying these products was saved for special occasion shopping sprees like birthdays or graduation . I had to accomplish something great like finshing highschool or staying alive another year to earn such a prize. Well now I'm all grown up and I can go on a shopping spree anytime I want (if my wallet allows), but where did HARD CANDY go? Well apparently it changed hands a few times and morphed into Urban Decay Cosmetics which has a totally different branding concept. HARD CANDY has found a home and has reamerged as beautiful and bold as ever..........at Walmart!!! Yes, Walmart.

I was so stoked to see all the new products and colors. My most exciting find was a matte teal nail polish (shown). This is a color I had only dreamed up in my mind but NEVER found on a shelf and I had done specific "search missions" for such a product. So this find alone was worth it. Besides the polishes, the packaging was totally different and I didn't know if the quality was also.  All I could do was throw down a few bucks and find out for myself. Of course I ran home (once again at nearly 11 pm) and tried it out : bright green and teal matte eyeliners, purple mascara, baked bronzer and matte blue cream shadow. Just as I had hoped it was all AWESOME! especially the liners, wow! they were only $6 a piece and the vivid colors are amazing. If you have bright shadows that don't seem to pop when you get them on your lids then try putting these liners on or even the cream shadow and layering your shadow on top. Not only does it lock in the color to make them last all day but it makes them so vibrant- you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bright colors are totally in for the spring and summer this year, so if you wanted to start playing around with colors and you are looking for something fun, stop by Walmart and check it out. It a costs a little bit more than the other "drug store" brands but you are getting a product that is going to do what you want it to do. If you are going to do bright colors they need to be bright! It's fun to play with your makeup looks and Hard candy definitely has the tools to get you started.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true!! I L-O-V-E-D Hard Candy! Followed it to Urban Decay, (for a very shinny penny) But now to know that it is at Wal-Mart means I can buy that much more!!